Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Butterflies


Still working with my awesome vintage yarn. In fact I loved it so much I wrote to Red Heart about the vibrant colors and they sent me back a very nice form letter.
So I have another old old pattern that I am using- I want to get the most from this yarn!
Butterflies don't use hardly any yarn at all, and they rock! I am going to make a mobile with the vintage yarn butterflies as a birthday present for someone special.

You can do them all one color but it looks cool with two.
I didn't write this pattern, it is adapted from a thread pattern I found in the Jan/Feb 1991 issue of Crochet Patterns by Herrschners that Grandma Katy gave me last weekend. The orig pattern called for number ten thread and the butterflies were smaller, but these are still only about 4 inches or so. play with your hook size and yarn weight and see what size you can get!

With Color A, Ch 6, join with sl st to form ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 3, 17 dc in ring, join with sl st to top of beg ch3= 18dc, counting beg Ch-3 as one dc.
Rnd 2: Ch3, 5dc in same st as join, *ch3, sk next 2 dc, 6 dc in next dc, rep from * around, end ch 3, sk last 2 dc, join with sl st tp top of beg ch3, fasten off.
Join color B with sl st to any ch3 sp.
Rnd 3: Ch 3, 9 dc in same Ch3 sp, *sc bet 3rd and 4th dc of next dc6 group, dc 10 in next ch-3 sp, repeat from * around, end bet 3rd and 4th st of last 6dc group sl st in top of beg ch-3 fasten off.

Fold circle in half so you have a butterfly shape. The pattern called for floral wire, but I did not want to use wire. I made a chain out of black yarn long enough to go around as the body and used a square knot as the head, then trimmed the end yarn to resemble antennae. When i have a few of these done i will show you the hanging result- these first ones will be a mobile. HOWEVER- I think they would be cute as appliqué on hats, scarves or bags, as magnets, barrettes, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment