Sunday, April 24, 2011

Vintage Pattern for Vintage Yarn


I was scanning photos for my mother-in-law and fell in LOVE with the afghan on the couch in the background of several photos. Just LOOK at those colors! Looks like stained glass yes? I wanted to try and recreate it but I thought, what were the chances that Grandma still had the afghan? Well turns out the chances are pretty good!
I took some vari yarn (Red Heart 4 ply) up and a size H hook, and was able to successfully copy one of the six sided blocks- and I plan to make more! I have not yet added the black, figure i will wait until I have more then one finished, and add the black all at once. what a COOL way to use up some yarns! i have tried to write the pattern down, I am new at writing patterns so forgive me if I am not exact.
Ch6, join.
ROW 1 DC 18 in a circle, join.
ROW 2 here you make the 6 sides. Single DC two, then DC twice in one, chain 2. Repeat five more times. You will have 6 groups of 4
ROW 3 Two DC in one, then DC two single posts, then DC two posts in one, Chain 2 and repeat five more times. you will have six groups of 6
ROW 4 Two DC in one, the DC four single posts, then DC two posts in one, CH 2
and repeat 5 more times. you will have six groups of 8.
ROW 5 Two DC in one, the DC six single posts, then DC two posts in one, CH 2
and repeat 5 more times. you will have six groups of 10.
ROW 6 Two DC in one, the DC 8 single posts, then DC two posts in one, CH 2
and repeat 5 more times. you will have six groups of 12.
ROW 7 Two DC in one, the DC 10 single posts, then DC two posts in one, CH 2
and repeat 5 more times. you will have six groups of 14.
ROW 8 (USE edge color)Two DC in one, the DC 12 single posts, then DC two posts in one, CH 2 and repeat 5 more times. you will have six groups of 16.

Save the scraps of yarn for fringe. Join the sides, then add simple DC edge in edge color, and add the scraps as fringe and you have a classic!

When I finish the afghan, I will post the photos. I suspect it will take a while, since I want to recycle various yarns into it.

Thank you to Katy Griffis for use of her photos and blanket, and to her Mother-in-Law for making the orig Stained Glass afghan all those many years ago! I can tell you it was made with Red Heart Wintuk 4 ply yarn because I found the EXACT SAME yarn on it that Jodie gave me from her Maw-Maw Gilda! What a small world!

No comments:

Post a Comment